Writing the Perfect Modern Wedding Vows: A Guide to Crafting Heartfelt and Memorable Promises | Including 24 Vow Examples
Wedding vows are a lovely way for two people to express their love, devotion, and commitment to one another. They are the promises you make to each other on your big day, as well as a way to show how much you care for each other. Writing your own modern wedding vows can seem like a daunting task, but with the right approach, it can be a fun and creative experience.
Naturally, every couple wants them to be heartfelt, romantic, and meaningful, so there’s a bit of pressure to get them right! Whether you choose tried-and-true traditional wedding vows or something more contemporary and modern, the most crucial thing to keep in mind is who the vows are for, regardless of whether you write your own or hire a professional to do it for you.
At the end of the day, who are the vows for? Your vows aren’t written to impress your wedding guests; they’re about telling the person who you love how you feel and making commitments to each other regarding your future life as husband and wife. The promises you exchange on your wedding day should come straight from the heart. Playing on your heart strings makes sure there’s no better way to make them meaningful than by writing them yourself.
One of the most crucial moments in life is the day you make a promise to your partner in crime. Writing your own vows can be both terrifying and exciting if you’re like many others today who are trying to steer away from traditional vows.
So I’ve gone ahead and created some top tips (also a tiny tip) for how best to approach writing your wedding vows. Your ceremony is going to be amazing … I can see it now!
Tiny Tip –
Make sure that you give the vows you’ll say to one another the time and attention they need, and don’t leave them until the last minute! It’s good practise to start them at least a month or more before the big day. It can sometimes be a process, and you may need to revisit a draft with fresh eyes a couple of times before you are totally satisfied and, better yet, super excited to say your vows.
If you are committed to writing your own vows, follow along with this helpful guide.
Start Early and Get Everything Out of Your Mind
I’ve just gone over this, but it is worth mentioning again: it is not a great idea to save the writing of your vows until the morning of the wedding. Many couples discover that they drafts several versions before settling on the ones that feel right to them. You might find it helpful to sit somewhere quiet (for me, I need quiet; otherwise, I really struggle and it’s a right old jumble) and start to jot down a few ideas. Don’t worry about using complete sentences at this time; instead, consider this exercise only as a springboard for what you will actually say during your ceremony. Write down your thoughts, feelings, and promises to your partner. Focus on getting everything out of your mind and onto paper.
Here are some questions that will help you get started and give you an idea of what to say to one another –
When did you first meet?
Who asked whom out?
When did you realise they were the one?
What little details make you smile when you think of your other half?
Why are you getting married?
What does marriage mean to you?
Why do you make a great team?
What promises do you want to make to one another that will make for a happy marriage?
Revisit this little task as you become more comfortable expressing your emotions in writing. The more you do it, the easier it gets, and you’ll start to see pieces that naturally come together to form your vows. You’re writing your own vows to make them personal to you, so take your time deciding what to say.
Do Research and Read Plenty of Examples
Research and read examples of other vows exchanged on wedding days (there are 24 examples down below). This will give you an idea of the structure and length they should have. Decide what sort of style you like and don’t like; for example, you may decide to say your vows in the form of a poem. To make sure one of you doesn’t go a bit overboard, talk to your partner. You don’t want one to speak for a minute and the other for 30 minutes.
Even though you’ll probably want to save each other’s vows until the big day, you can still make a plan to follow so that they complement one another then. Consider the tone of your words; there’s a fine line between being funny and distracting from the meaning of the ceremony. The general rule is to avoid anything that could make your partner feel sensitive or embarrassed, but it’s best to set a tone so that your vows compliment one another’s. Chat with each other about words that you’d rather not include, like “obey.”
Look for inspiration from other wedding vows, both real and fictional. You could ask loved ones, read some romantic poems, browse the Internet, watch some romcoms movies, or hit Netflix to see how your favourite TV show writers and directors write the vows for one another. If you want to include a specific quote from a movie or TV show, make sure to get the other half’s say so first. Just because you may be a die-hard fan of a particular show, the sentiment of any words will probably be lost and misunderstood.
Think about what makes the vows unique and what makes them special. Use the examples below as inspiration, and make sure to put your own personal spin on them.
Just as you would practise any speeches you might give at your wedding reception, take some time to prepare, ideally in front of someone you trust, to say your vows. You don’t want your wedding day to be the first time you say your vows out loud. Nerves could get the better of you; you never know how you’ll react at this time on your wedding day. Don’t worry; practice makes perfect. You’ll feel comfortable and confident in no time. Reading your vows aloud and practicing will also ensure you put in enough pauses and read at the correct speed.
24 Examples of Modern Wedding Vows
- “I vow to love you always, in sickness and in health, for richer or for poorer, for better or for worse. I promise to be your biggest supporter, your best friend, and your soulmate for all of eternity.”
- “I promise to listen to your dreams, to support your goals, and to be there for you every step of the way. I vow to be your rock, your shelter, and your home, and to love you with all that I am and all that I have.”
- “I promise to never stop laughing with you, to never stop learning from you, and to never stop growing with you. I vow to be your partner in crime, your confidant, and your soulmate for all of time.”
- “I vow to always be there for you, through good times and bad, to stand by your side and to hold your hand. I promise to love you fiercely, to cherish you always, and to be your rock for all of forever.”
- “I promise to be your biggest fan, to celebrate your successes, and to comfort you in your failures. I vow to be your cheerleader, your ally, and your soulmate for all of our days.”
- “I vow to make memories with you, to explore the world together, and to grow old with you. I promise to love you unconditionally, to be your partner in life, and to be your soulmate for all of our years.”
- “I promise to support your passions, to share in your joys, and to be there for you always. I vow to be your partner in love, your best friend, and your soulmate for all of eternity.”
- “I vow to love you deeply, to laugh with you often, and to live life to the fullest with you. I promise to be
- “I promise to always be your biggest cheerleader, your comfort in moments of stress, and your rock through life’s challenges.”
- “I vow to support you, trust you, and love you, through all the adventures life has to offer.”
- “I choose you, and I’ll choose you over and over and over again, without hesitation, without fear, without doubt.”
- “I promise to be your partner in every aspect of life, and to always be by your side through thick and thin.”
- “I vow to love and cherish you, in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, for as long as we both shall live.”
- “I promise to be your best friend, your confidant, and your forever love.”
- “I choose you, not just for today or tomorrow, but for all of the days of our lives.”
- “I vow to support your dreams, encourage your passions, and be your partner in every aspect of life.”
- “I promise to always be there for you, through the laughter and the tears, and to love you with all of my heart.”
- “I vow to be your partner in adventure, your confidant in moments of vulnerability, and your rock through life’s challenges.”
- “I choose you, to laugh with, to live with, to love with, and to grow old with.”
- “I promise to love you, support you, and cherish you, for all of the days of my life.”
- “I vow to be your partner in crime, your shoulder to cry on, and your forever love.”
- “I promise to love you,
- “I promise to love you with all my heart, to support and encourage you in all that you do, and to stand by you through all the ups and downs of life. I vow to be your best friend, your rock, and your biggest cheerleader, always and forever.”
- “With all my heart, I promise to love and care for you, to make you laugh, and to always be your safe place. I vow to stand by you, to support you, and to grow with you, for all the days of our lives.”
I just wanted to quickly sum all this up –
Wedding vows give you the opportunity to express your love and dedication to your partner and are a big part of your wedding ceremony. To write the perfect modern wedding vows, you should start early, get everything out of your mind, do research, read plenty of examples, and practice aloud. With these tips and 24 examples of modern wedding vows, you’ll be well on your way to writing the perfect vows that truly express your love and commitment. So, take the time to make your vows meaningful, personal, and heartfelt. You’ll be glad you did.
I hope you’ve loved this article and has helped you with writing your wedding vows.
Thank you for reading – Writing the Perfect Modern Wedding Vows: A Guide to Crafting Heartfelt and Memorable Promises | Including 24 Vow Examples
So, how is wedding planning going for you? If you’re just starting out these three articles below will 100% help you plan your wedding.
- The Story Behind Wedding Favours: A Timeless Tradition
- The Bridal Trends We’ll See Everywhere In 2023
- Wedding Apps: The 5 Wedding Planning Apps My Couples Are Loving!